At a glance
- Here are five simple tips to help you jumpstart your SEO strategy.
- These steps are written in order!
- They take a bit of time up front, but they’ll save you time in the long-run.
What is SEO?
- According to Moz, SEO is “a set of practices designed to improve the appearance and positioning of web pages in organic search results.” (Moz)
- If you want free traffic to come to your site from search engines, particularly Google, it’s worth considering your SEO strategy.
Follow these steps in order
- Whenever I write a new post, I follow these steps
- I suggest that you follow them in order
- I’ve optimized this process over years of working with WordPress to minimize the amount of re-work you have to do (e.g., coming up with the keyword first so you don’t have to try to smush a keyword into an existing post)
1. Decide on the topic
- First, pick a topic you want to write about
- It should be something that both you and your audience care about
- Plan to write 500-600 words on the topic
2. Do keyword research
- Do keyword research before writing anything!
- I recommend installing Keywords Everywhere (link below) to help you uncover great keywords. This tool isn’t free, but the price is incredibly reasonable! (You’ll likely spend around $10 per year.)
- Here’s a video tutorial that covers using Keywords Everywhere:
- My recommendation is to select keywords that get monthly results, but have low competition
PREMIUM TOOL // Keywords Everywhere
Keywords Everywhere is a browser add-on for Chrome & Firefox that shows search volume, CPC & competition on multiple websites.
Click here to go to Keywords Everywhere
3. Write headlines
- Write headlines before writing any content!
- Here’s a post I wrote which will help you write great headlines.
- Follow the tips I outline in this post (link below), and be sure to do it prior to writing any of the content!
4. Install an SEO plugin and follow its recommendations
- SEO plugins guide you as you write content
- They provide recommendations and benchmarks for improving your SEO as you write
- My favorite SEO plugin is Rank Math SEO (link below). It’s free!
- I recommend that you install Rank Math and then use it to guide you as you’re writing new content. It’ll save you a ton of hassle and time in the long-run!
5. Be mindful of your website’s performance
- Google wants your pages to load in less than three seconds! Your visitors do too.
- If it doesn’t, your search rankings could (and likely will) be impacted
- Run your Home page and your post pages through GTmetrix to see how they perform, and then make changes based on the tool’s recommendations
FREE TOOL // GTmetrix
GTmetrix was developed by Carbon60 as a tool for customers to easily test the performance of their webpages.
Click here to go to GTmetrix
Any thoughts or questions? Anything with which you disagree? Anything I missed?